Re: Guile and GDB

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile and GDB
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:59:20 +0100

> Actually, it's also meant to be used directly by GDB.  Normally, GDB
> should try to display SCM values on its own (using its own copy of
> `tags.h' and the corresponding printing procedures) and resort to
> calling `gdb_print ()' when it doesn't know how to display a value.
>
> In practice, GDB currently only supports the latter, which makes it
> not-so-useful (the same result can be achieved with trivial GDB macros).
> See http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2007-07/msg00231.html .

Wow, that's pretty cool!  So your patches are actually in GDB now, are
they?

Notwithstanding, it looks like my conclusion that we don't need
GDB_INTERFACE and GDB_INTERFACE_INIT in guile.c is still correct - can
you confirm that?

(In other words, instead of using some kind of registration API, I
guess that GDB either links to libguile, or looks up the gdb_*
functions that it needs dynamically, or has an independent copy of the
libguile code that it needs to do printing.  Is that right?)