Re: %nil once again

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: %nil once again
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:12:42 +0200

Ken Raeburn wrote:
On Jul 19, 2009, at 16:10, Neil Jerram wrote:
BTW, I implemented also the function bindings of symbols using this
fluid-based dynamic scoping at the moment -- but on second thought,
there's no scoping at all for function slots (all are global), is
there?

No, I don't think there is.  `let' can't operate on function slots.

Not in the main emacs lisp implementation. However, cl-macs.el provides an "flet" macro that does work on function slots; it uses the "letf" macro which expands to include a use of unwind-protect to do its dirty work.

But that's not part of the real "elisp semantics", and so if we don't want to include this as a genuine extension into Guile's compiler, we don't have to use the fluids for function slots.

With unwind-protect and friends one can, just like in emacs, implement this functionality, even without a fluid implementation.

However, if you agree that this would be a useful feature (dynamic scoping of functions) I can of course implement this as an extension to elisp...? I agree that it might be of use sometimes, but am not convinced it is really "necessary".

Yours,
Daniel

--
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Kni-Mon-Pri