Re: Elisp Reader

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Elisp Reader
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:50:24 -0400

On Aug 27, 2009, at 13:00, Daniel Kraft wrote:
yesterday and today I implemented the promised elisp reader and just pushed the changes. Now Guile's elisp support in my branch should be somewhat "complete" because not only there's a compiler but also a genuine parser for elisp, handling for instance the [] vectors, all those fancy ?\C-\M-x character escape sequences and the syntax for circular structures with #n=/#n#. I hope it is fairly complete and bug-free, but probably not (as usual) ;)

Fantastic work!

Feel free to look at it or try it out, I'd be interested to get testing results! I could try to run some real elisp code through it...

I know where you can find a whole pile of it. ;-)

I assume you don't follow the Emacs development mailing lists... There's been a little traffic recently about possible multithreading support and the effect on let-bound buffer-local variables. Not much discussion so far on the details of the semantics of such cases, but Tom Tromey is looking into this stuff. (I guess I kind of side- tracked some of the discussion onto guile-emacs stuff, oops.) Have you given more thought to buffer-local variables, defvaralias, and other such headaches? Tom's work and yours aren't quite overlapping, but you're close....

Ken