Re: mtime of fresh .go

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: mtime of fresh .go
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:46:04 +0200

Hi,

On Tue 20 Jul 2010 00:17, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>  * RPM or Deb systems typically timestamp their files based on the times
>>    they were built, not installed, and we don't have guarantees that
>>    upgrading a package won't actually move the mtime into the past.
>
> What matters is that the mtime(.go) >= mtime(.scm), and I’d expect it to
> be preserved by packaging systems, even after an upgrade, no?

Not all packages with Scheme files will have .go files, so you get
compilation by the user in some cases. But even if the version
increases, you are not guaranteed that the mtime increases. This is
besides the issue of downgrades, of course.

>>  * When installing source code (via _SOURCES / _DATA), you don't have
>>    any guarantees about the relations between the times of the SOURCE
>>    and DATA files, *as installed*.
>
> Apparently “make install” preserves mtimes on my system.  IOW, since
> uninstalled .gos have mtime >= uninstalled .scms, the same holds for
> installed .gos and .scms.

AFAIR it does not on mine -- I wouldn't have added the install-hook in
Guile otherwise...

http://wingolog.org/