Re: problem with trailing comment in repl

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: problem with trailing comment in repl
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:34:03 +0100

On Fri 11 Feb 2011 22:15, "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <address@hidden> writes:

>     scheme@(guile-user)> (define a 3) ;; foo
>     <- cursor stays here; no prompt
>
> is that intended? i'm hoping it is not, because it confuses geiser, who
> is waiting for a new prompt to mark the end of the transaction.

It would be nice if there were a prompt in this case.  However, it is
difficult to do.  Because this case is very much like:

   guile> (define a 3) (
   <- no prompt, waiting for you to finish the expression

Or indeed, like:
   guile> ;; foo
   <- no prompt

After reading an expression, the REPL reader flushes any available
whitespace, then goes into a new read.  If there are characters waiting
on the current input port, as they are if there is more than one
expression on one line, no prompt is printed.  In this case we flush the
whitespace, and start reading at the ";", and keep on reading in the
next line.

http://wingolog.org/