Re: O(1) accessors for UTF-8 backed strings

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: O(1) accessors for UTF-8 backed strings
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:20:52 +0200

On Sun 13 Mar 2011 05:05, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

>> I also think strings should remain what they currently are, with O(1)
>> random access.
>
> I just realized that it is possible to implement O(1) accessors for
> UTF-8 backed strings.

If we switch to UTF-8, I like this proposal, generally.

It would be good if it continued to support cheap, shared substrings,
but without the mutexen we have now.  Perhaps it would also be good to
do away with stringbuf objects entirely; dunno.

O(log N) accessors would also fine be with me, e.g. via skip lists or
tries or something.

A tricky problem!

http://wingolog.org/