Re: Guile 2.0 eating memory on ARM

From: nalaginrut
Subject: Re: Guile 2.0 eating memory on ARM
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:00:29 +0800

> Hi there...
>
> I think I've successfully cross-compiled Guile (stable-2.0, e309f3bf9e)
> for my Freerunner phone.  However, when I run it, it just keeps
> allocating memory until the OOM killer kills it:
>
> address@hidden ~ # guile -c 3
> Killed
> address@hidden ~ # guile
> Killed
>
> and if I strace it, the log ends with lots of repetitions of:
>
> brk(0x590f000)                          = 0x510f000
>
> mmap2(0x40fd2000, 65536, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE, 5, 0) =
> 0x40fd2000
> mmap2(0x40fe2000, 8388608, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE, 5, 0) = -1
> ENOMEM
>
> I don't have any more detailed investigation or solutions yet.  But in
> case anyone else is in a similar area - let's compare notes.
>
> Also a couple of notes to connect back with previous threads about
> cross-compiling:
>
> - I have some more patches to allow the running of guile and guile-tools
>   during the build.  I'll post those probably tomorrow, and also compare
>   them with Jan's series.
>
> - Following the discussion about a cross version of `guile-tools
>   compile', I realized that the Freerunner ARM platform is
>   little-endian, and hence the .go files should be identical to those
>   for x86.  Therefore, although I was going to look at adding a target
>   type in the way that Ludo and Andy agreed, I don't actually need to do
>   that yet.
>
>   (Is that right?  In any case, it definitely isn't relevant to the
>   memory eating problem, because the strace shows that guile hasn't yet
>   tried to open any .scm or .go files.)
>
> Regards,
>     Neil

I think guile on embedded device would be interesting since it has VM
now.  What kernel version your freerunner running?

--
GNU Powered it
GPL Protected it

HFG - NalaGinrut

--hacker key--
v4sw7CUSMhw6ln6pr8OSFck4ma9u8MLSOFw3WDXGm7g/l8Li6e7t4TNGSb8AGORTDLMen6g6RASZOGCHPa28s1MIr4p-x
 hackerkey.com
---end key---