Re: guile contributor setup

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile contributor setup
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:37:00 +0100

On Thu 02 Feb 2012 15:44, Catonano <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm considering the idea of trying to contribute some Scheme code to
> guile, and I'm running into some issues with emails, patches, git and
> the such.
>
> What's the common setup you people use ?

I use git, from the command line and from Emacs.  When I use it from
Emacs, I use magit: http://philjackson.github.com/magit/

I mostly use magit to commit, and otherwise the command line to update,
rebase, etc.  I use gitk sometimes to get a graphical representations of
"the big picture".

When I make a patch and want to mail it, I use magit to commit it with a
nice log.  Then on the command-line I do "git format-patch
origin/stable-2.0..HEAD" and that spits out one file for each commit I
made that is not in upstream stable-2.0.  I then attach them to mails.

I use Gnus for mail, in emacs.  When I receive a patch, I pipe it to a
(cd ~/src/guile; git am -3).  That usually applies it fine.  I could
save the file and use git am -3 manually tho.

That's pretty much it!

http://wingolog.org/