Re: Questions about the compiler et al

From: BT Templeton
Subject: Re: Questions about the compiler et al
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:44:36 -0500

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>>> * Is there any way to embed references to non-serializable objects in
>>>   compiled code?
>>
>> No.  Can you give an example of when you would want this?
[...]
> Furthermore, I'd suggest that _not_ serializing the objtable should be
> the default behavior, and that `compile-file' should instead add a
> compiler option to force objtable serialization.  The rationale is that
> I expect most uses of `compile' from within user code to compile to
> `value' anyway, and forcing serialization needlessly adds overhead, and
> more importantly, limitations on what might be found within (quote _)
> forms of generated code.  What do you think?

This change would make it possible to use uninterned symbols as gensyms,
which would be useful for Elisp and CL support. Simply adding support
for serializing uninterned symbols isn't enough, because then (eq x
(eval `',x)) is sometimes false.

--
Inteligenta persono lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
Esperanto estas moderna, kultura lingvo por la mondo. Simpla, fleksebla,