Re: Chunked Encoding

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Chunked Encoding
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 03:27:11 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () Ian Price <address@hidden>
> () Sun, 06 May 2012 05:52:00 +0100
>
>    I think we can leave trailers until I have some actual data on
>    how much these are actually used in practice, and/or someone
>    complains about it being missing.  WDYT?
>
> It's not so hard to conform.  Trailers are just headers in the
> tail position; you can use code that reads headers to read
> trailers.

It's not the technical challenge I'm concerned about; I know it's pretty
easy. I'm concerned about the interface. If all we have is a 'http-get'
then this is pretty easy, you modify the header alist once you are
finished reading the body, then you present it to the user.
But guile provides more of it's http infrastructure than this, and it is
not obvious to me the best way to integrate this feature.

More importantly, I don't want to add a feature no-one will use,
anecdotally, trailers are used rarely if at all, and other languages
feel comfortable leaving it out of their standard libraries.

Thanks for your thoughts,

--
Ian Price

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"