init.scm

From: Ian Price
Subject: init.scm
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:41:00 +0100

Attempting to resolve a guildhall bug with tupi[0], he mentioned
init.scm. I was not aware that guile read such a file, and it is not in
the manual, but it is in NEWS. So, first off, that situation should
change.

Secondly, the bug in question was that tupi has the option  (read-set!
keywords 'prefix) to turn :foo into a keyword. This interferes with
compilation of go files since guildhall is mostly r6rs code and uses
srfi 97 modules names (i.e. (srfi :1 lists)). These module names will
fail for two reasons, first a number is not a valid keyword, and
secondly, it wouldn't (I believe) be able to resolve the module
reference.

What I would like is a way to ignore the loading of a site init file so
that I can compile these without having to leave a note to the user
saying "oh, by the way, if you have a init.scm that modifies the reader
please turn that off while compiling guildhall". Suggested keywords are
--no-site-file or -Q (which is what emacs uses[1]).

What do you think?

I can write this documentation and patch in a pinch, but I'd rather
someone who was aware of init.scm before today did it, if you wouldn't
mind.

0. https://github.com/ijp/guildhall/issues/6
1. Well, -Q in emacs is really "-q --no-site-file --no-splash" but who's
keeping track? ;-)
--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"