Re: Guile API for foreign languages: proposing SCM scm_list_0(void)

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Guile API for foreign languages: proposing SCM scm_list_0(void)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:27:51 +0100

On Tue 22 Jan 2013 11:55, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> [trimming out guile-user]
>
> For me, here is the list of symbols with no C counterpart, followed by a
> commented list of all of them.
>
> Symbols that a non-C program would need to interact with Guile:
>
>      SCM_BOOL_F
>      SCM_BOOL_T
>      SCM_ELISP_NIL
>      SCM_EOF_VAL
>      SCM_EOL
>      SCM_UNBOUND
>      SCM_UNDEFINED
>      SCM_UNSPECIFIED
>
> Any ideas on how we should expose these?

I propose that we don't expose them via functions; that seems silly to
me.

Instead, users should just keep a table of what the values of these
constants are for a given Guile major series.  Defining them as
enumerated values doesn't help e.g. an Ada compiler.  The particular
language should make this list in their own source code format, perhaps
generated by a small C program linked to libguile.

Thoughts?

http://wingolog.org/