Re: About Guile crypto support

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: About Guile crypto support
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 02:46:52 -0800 (PST)

> I have the feeling that we should implement our own dynamic-link
> function without libltdl.  It would eliminate a dependency and allow us
> to use other search path rules, like ones that could deal with this
> case.  I think the situation would actually be better on other
> architectures because we wouldn't have to deal with bugs like this one:

Right now, the Guile project does a poor job of testing Guile on
multiple platforms.  Hydra does check that i686-linux, x86_64-linux
and x86_64-darwin compile, but, that's about the extent of multi-platform
testing.  (There are Hydra jobs for Cygwin and Solaris, but, they are
broken; and FreeBSD hasn't built successfully in a year or so on 2.0)

Guile has some talented hackers, and maybe they could write a better
dynamic linker than libtool, but, history suggests that Guile might
lose interest in maintaining such code for non-GNU systems.

-Mike