Re: take! 0==1?

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: take! 0==1?
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:42:02 +1000

On 12 July 2013 17:14, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading the documentation of take!
>
>     -- Scheme Procedure: take lst i
>     -- Scheme Procedure: take! lst i
>         Return a list containing the first I elements of LST.
>
>         `take!' may modify the structure of the argument list LST in order
>         to produce the result.
>
> its behaviour surpsises me.
>
> For list LST, (take! lst 0) leaves LST in the same state
> as (take! lst 1) does.  Worse, the return value suggests
> that it worked

Well, there's no pair that can be mutated in (take! lst 0), and (take!
lst n) where n is the length of the list is just like setting the nth
cdr to nil, which it already is.  Have I understood this correctly?

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
under copyright law.  You absolutely may reproduce any part of it in
accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
in.  Any attempt to deny you those rights would be illegal without
prior contractual agreement.