Re: on native compilation

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: on native compilation
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:07:41 +0200

Hi,

On Sun 08 Sep 2013 20:19, Sjoerd van Leent <address@hidden> writes:

> Reading the written thoughts below, what was the actual reason no to use
> GNU Lightning? Has that too many complexities or incompatibilities to be
> used for Scheme and other functional languages opposed to it's native
> GNU Smalltalk?
>
> I ask this since recently GNU Lightning 2.0 has seen the light, and I
> just wonder if it would be wise to reinvestigate.

It makes sense to investigate, yes.  However the issue is more one of
getting getting the right abstractions in Guile, and it's not clear that
Lightning provides them.  Lightning is for JIT compilation, and we want
to do AOT first.  I think it makes sense to get native code for one
architecture, see how that interacts with our needs for debugging, then
start to think if an existing project's code generation abstractions
suit our needs.

http://wingolog.org/