Re: GNU Thunder

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: GNU Thunder
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 11:39:44 +1000

On 7 September 2014 01:49, Ian Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
You are just not at all convincing, I'm afraid. Tell your boss they didn't train you properly, and can you get assigned somewhere else.

​Unfortunately, this is a reality we have to deal with when discussing security on the internet: we've got to assume the enemy is listening.  It could be me, I could even be intercepting your emails and making them sound incoherrent, and upping the tinfoil-hat quotient by ​adding people like Theo and Linus to the To: list.  I could be suggesting that effort be spent in a project that will provide very little value, wasting your time.

Remember:  I'm not suggesting what the outcome of your project will be, just that if the result is negative, we still know nothing.  When testing a system for subterfuge, we need to examine *all* of the moving parts, even those that appear to be unused.  If the system you're building your assembler on is compromised, it can still give you a negative answer.  That's what was so scary about this particular type of attack.

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without prior contractual agreement.