Re: implementation idea for infinite cons lists aka scon(e)s lists.

From: Ian Grant
Subject: Re: implementation idea for infinite cons lists aka scon(e)s lists.
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:37:57 -0400

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden> wrote:
Anyhow today I think that programming in C should be done like in my c-lambda repo at gitorius.

I can't find it. Can you send me a URL?

 I have actually copied sbcl's assebler for amd64. you can find it in the aschm
repo at gitorious, and here again the meta programming you get with scheme is fantastic

I found this. It looks really good. I like the way it handles labels. I haven't yet looked up how you do it, I guess its a syntax macro of some kind - I didn't know they could do that though.

It looks like SBCL hackers have been playing with virtual machines metaprogrammed in LISP for a while. But they don't do abstract syntax for their VM, so every implementation is a concrete LISP program implementing the VM in some particular assembler or other. But writing a common, abstract VM spec, as an s-exp, for example, and then interpreting that one common abstract spec in each of the particular concrete assembler languages is only a small step to make. But it gets you a completely portable LISP runtime very quickly, if all your LISP primitives were specified in that abstract assembler.

Ian