Re: Dijkstra's Methodology for Secure Systems Development

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: Re: Dijkstra's Methodology for Secure Systems Development
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:50:21 +0200

Hey,
Maybe I'm a fucking ignorant jumped-up little prick, but at least I don't stink ;]

Actually I don't think that you did put yourself into a particulatly comfortable position, and even if you don't care what the people around you think, maintaining personal hygiene seems like The Right Thing To Do. Avoiding the soap is like raising an invisible fence that keeps the external world away from you, which is not necessarily a good thing. It is also a message -- that either you are a very poor person, or that you are eager to treat every living person that you meet with disrespect -- because you're simply making them feel unconfortable, and for no particular reason.

It is still unclear to me why you chose to move to Bolivia and live in such poor conditions, but I have a feeling that it only lessens the odds of achieving your goal (especially when you run out of money and die of hunger). On the other hand I do admit that you're pursuing my childhood dreams of being focused on programming entirely. I imagined myself sitting on a sleeping bag with my laptop in a tunnel at a train station with a label beside me stating that "I am writing free software for the great good, please support".

On the other hand, now I see how non-linear the process of creating software is -- that basically you need to balance on a thin line between inspiration, motivation and focus.

Actually, I think that when your teeth are falling out, then the conditions are probably not particularly propitious.

I've taken a look at your work and I have to say that I am really impressed with some of your ideas, and I do agree on many points, but I have a feeling that they are all presented in a rather messy way, so one can find profound ideas lying next to some pile of crappy trivia. But I certainly need to read a bit more to get a more adequate opinion.

When it comes to me, I live (and have been for the most of my life) in Poland.

And I still find it difficult to see anything terrible in the idea that "FSF had been subverted", when I interpret that in terms of software security, because the way I see it, the main premise of FSF movement is to share the code (as opposed to restricting it), and the main goal of the GNU Operating System is to propagate that idea, rather than to provide a secure and reliable operating system (which are only secondary goals that are needed to be fulfilled in order for the operating system to become popular, respected and desired -- or to advertise the idea well enough).

But most of all, I think, software (and free software in particular) is about fun (so in this regard I would agree with Alan Perlis' foreword to SICP). This is also what I like about your ideas -- that they encourage code reuse, thus requiring the programmer to write only what's important.

The issue of being afraid of touching other programmers' (or sys-admins') work is also important, because it shows that we didn't yet manage to work out the means of communicating software in a disciplined and comprehendible way, and I agree that we need to work more on that (and I also agree that we should resort to logic)

Best regards