Re: Dijkstra's Methodology for Secure Systems Development

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: Dijkstra's Methodology for Secure Systems Development
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:53:46 +1000

On 20 September 2014 18:50, Panicz Maciej Godek <address@hidden> wrote:

​​
And I still find it difficult to see anything terrible in the idea that "FSF had been subverted", when I interpret that in terms of software security, because the way I see it, the main premise of FSF movement is to share the code (as opposed to restricting it), and the main goal of the GNU Operating System is to propagate that idea, rather than to provide a secure and reliable operating system (which are only secondary goals that are needed to be fulfilled in order for the operating system to become popular, respected and desired -- or to advertise the idea well enough).

The GNU exists to enable users to have control and power over the computers they own.  Proprietary software is one mechanism to subvert that right; security flaws in the mechanisms we use to run software from other sources is another, and it is an important one because most people use a lot of software they don't have time to audit.  Improving the security of the platform is *key* to the goals of the GNU, but not only is it a long road, it's not clear yet which paths are well lit.

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without prior contractual agreement.