Re: Adding https support

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Adding https support
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:20:42 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> There are remaining issues:
>  - The tls file descriptor leak bug from Guix has been carried over here
>    http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20145
>    but I don't really know enough to know what I'm supposed to fix.
>    Pointers?

Here we use ‘set-session-transport-fd!’ to give GnuTLS the underlying
file descriptor, which avoids crossing the Scheme/C layer, and so is
better performance-wise.

The problem with that is that ‘tls-wrap’ then “loses” the file
descriptor: Closing the session port it returns does not close the
underlying file descriptor.

To fix that, I think we have to go heavyweight and use custom binary
ports.  But!  I just realized that we’re not providing
‘make-custom-binary-input/output-port’, which is what we need here.  So
we first need to add this to libguile.  I can work on it, but no ETA.

>  - open-socket-for-uri and open-connection-for-uri should be merged
>    together.

Right.

>  - needs a better commit message, I'll get to it!
>  - I probably need to sign papers... I've signed them for other GNU
>    projects but I think I haven't signed any kind of across-the-board
>    GNU copyright assignment thing.

I’ll email it off-line.

To summarize, there’s a bit more work to be done before we can add
that.  Sorry for disappointing!

Thanks,
Ludo’.