Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:27:19 -0600

Mathieu Lirzin writes:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>  - Intro
>>  - Getting up and running
>>    (picture of one of those robots with a wind-up-toy-key on its back?)
>>    + How to start guile from the command line, add readline support
>>    + Editor setup, simple
>>
>>      Details how to write some scheme with any editor, maybe makes a
>>      free software editor recommendation of something simple that's not
>>      too hard to get going with Scheme.  Would GEdit work?
>
> As much as I appreciate my Emacs environment, I think GEdit + basic REPL
> in a terminal is the right choice for presenting Guile.  I think it
> would be better not explaining how to setup Geiser+Emacs in this
> tutorial and just mentioning it by giving a link to separate resource
> (which don't exist yet...) for those who are already familiar with
> Emacs.

That's roughly what I was going for!  I figured there would be a very
minimal introduction on how to set up a hacking environment with *any*
editor, then those who are ready to set up geiser + emacs can figure out
how to do it, after being pointed in this direction anyway.

>> I'm sure there are other things!  But I think a tutorial in this style
>> might be fun, and would fit the site well.  And the desire for a good
>> tutorial has been expressed many times.
>
> This is definitely a great initiative!
>
> Thanks,

Great, thank you!

(I hope I or someone else have time to do it soon...!)
 - Chris