Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:28:19 -0600

Christopher Allan Webber writes:

> Hello!
>
> So I've been thinking a bit about what a friendly "intro" tutorial would
> look like that could fit with the direction the site is heading.  I came
> up with some ideas I wanted to capture before I totally lost them.

Well I started implementing this.

Here's the code:
  https://notabug.org/cwebber/guile-tutorial

It's using the excellent Skribilo.  (I had *no idea* just how excellent until
I started this... amazing stuff!)

So:

> I think we can keep with the kids playing with robot toys idea and
> stretch that a bit.  Here's a brief outline:
>

>  - Intro
>  - Getting up and running
>    (picture of one of those robots with a wind-up-toy-key on its back?)
>    + How to start guile from the command line, add readline support
>    + Editor setup, simple
>
>      Details how to write some scheme with any editor, maybe makes a
>      free software editor recommendation of something simple that's not
>      too hard to get going with Scheme.  Would GEdit work?
>
>      Shows how to write a file and then import it at the REPL,
>      then reload it as you add things.
>
>      Teaches the basic idea of writing code in a file + playing at the REPL.
>
>    + Editor setup, advanced: Emacs + Geiser
>
>      Explains that this is the advanced, but recommended version.
>      It takes some time to get started with if you are not already an
>      emacs user, but you may want to come back to it later.  Explains
>      how to set things up.

I've gotten this far.  The rest of the stuff below still needs to be
done.

I'm still interested in mixing this with sirgazil/Lusis's drawings if he
is.

I haven't gotten into the fun part of the tutorial yet, but I'm kind of
optimistic.  The remaining parts are below.  What do people think, is
this worth spending the time on?  And might we want to put it on the
Guile website officially at some point...?