Re: GTK3 bindings status

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: GTK3 bindings status
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 08:40:38 +0800

Hi Mike! I'm just here to say, thanks for the work!

Mike Gran <address@hidden> 于 2018年11月12日周一 07:52写道:
Hi-

After a few weeks hacking, I have actually got a library that parses
GObject-Introspection *.typelib files to create Guile bindings, and I
have added just enough machinery to get GTK's famous Example 1 to run.

Theirs
  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-getting-started.html
Mine
  https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi/blob/master/test/example-1.scm

The library code is an awful mess, so I wouldn't bother trying to
build it or use it, yet, but, it was a milestone I though I might
report.

The cool part of that example is that I'm using a lambda as a GObject
button "clicked" signal callback, which ended up requiring quite a bit
of infrastructure and FFI.

So a few weeks ago there was a bit of discussion about the best way to
accomplish a GTK3 binding for Guile.  I got a lot of great advice,
but, I decided to choose a low-level approach to it, mostly in C, for
now, which I believe is necessary to smooth the edges between
GTK's API and Scheme.  Also, I decided to skip GOOPS for a more direct
approach, which may or may not be a terrible idea.

Regards,
Mike