unboxing floats in libguile procedures that always return floats?

From: Thompson, David
Subject: unboxing floats in libguile procedures that always return floats?
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 03:11:09 +0000

Hello all,

Guile's current floating point unboxing optimizations are great and
have helped me immensely, but they still leave something to be
desired. I often find myself often calling libguile procedures such as
sin, cos, and random:uniform.  These procedures always return floats,
yet Guile always boxes them, leaving me stuck with procedures that
make lots of garbage despite my best efforts to generate efficient
bytecode.  Would it be possible for the compiler to know that it can
safely unbox functions like sin and cos?  It would really help reduce
GC for realtime graphics rendering applications, for example.

Thanks,

- Dave