Re: Distributed verification of release tarballs using Guix? (was Re: Re

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Distributed verification of release tarballs using Guix? (was Re: Releasing 2.2.5?)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 23:23:05 +0200

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>> What would you think of releasing ‘stable-2.2’ as 2.2.5?
>
> I think it's a fine idea.

Awesome.  We’ll have to update NEWS; I can give it a go, but if you
could add bullet items for the things you’ve worked on, that’d be great.

>> It’s great if you can do it, Mark, but otherwise I can do it.
>
> Regrettably, Guile 2.2 has become too heavy to build on the only machine
> in my possession that I have any trust in.  I don't have a machine that
> I consider sufficiently trustworthy to produce build outputs for wider
> distribution.  I'm not sure that any of us do.

Note that “make dist” is rather inexpensive; “distcheck” is much more
expensive though, but maybe avoidable for a minor release tarball.

> To mitigate the risk that a compromised development machine could be
> used to attack others, I propose that we adopt a practice of distributed
> verification of release tarballs.  We would publish code that uses Guix
> to produce the release tarball deterministically, and put out a call for
> volunteers to generate the tarball and post signed declarations
> containing the hash of the resulting tarball.  After we have received
> several such declarations, we can sign and publish the official tarball.

I don’t think this should block 2.2.5, but I think it’s an idea we
should explore.

One issue is that “make dist” is non-deterministic because the archive
contains timestamps; I’m sure there of other sources of non-determinism
though, because “make dist” was not designed with that in mind.

The non-source byproducts in release tarballs are: the pre-built .go
files (which are optional), psyntax-pp.scm, and then Info files and all
the autotools machinery.  Are these those you had in mind?

Thoughts?

Ludo’.