Re: patch for mmap and friends

From: tomas
Subject: Re: patch for mmap and friends
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:41:16 +0100

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 04:18:58PM +0100, Maxime Devos wrote:

[...]

> (While it is recommended for Scheme code to keep a reference to the port to
> manually close afterwards, to free resources faster than waiting for GC, it
> is not actually required.)

Oh, oh. I've got a little anecdote to share here. The context was a Java
application, running on Sun medium-sized iron. It was slow & clumsy and
the customer decided to double the machine's RAM (these were times where
200 MB were quite a thing).

The application crashed a couple of times a day. Some log file poking
later it became clear: at the other side there was an Oracle database
and the app was exhausting the (limited) max number of connections
allowed for the license they had. More RAM -> less GC and the app was
relying on the object destructors to dispose of the unneeded database
connections.

There I learnt one shouldn't ever use memory as proxy for other
resources :-)

(The end of the story was that we could convince the user to have an
application under a free license and a free database :)

Cheers