Re: Reducing memory usage of the linker and assembler

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Reducing memory usage of the linker and assembler
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:54:27 +0100

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:

> The branch replaces the ‘bv’ field of <linker-object> with ‘size’ and
> ‘writer’, the latter being a procedure that takes a bytevector and
> writes to it.
>
> At this point, ‘link-elf’ still allocates one bytevector for each linker
> object.  Eventually we could rewrite those “writer” procedures to use
> binary I/O primitives instead of expecting a bytevector to write to, and
> that way we wouldn’t need those temporary bytevectors.  It’s a bit
> tedious to do though.

I’ve now merged this branch into ‘main’:

  3cd64feb2 * linker: Do not store entire ELF in memory when writing to a file.
  4ab71e1f0 * linker: Linker object writer takes a single argument.
  041f11b35 * linker, assembler: Avoid intermediate bytevectors.
  d0d974360 * linker: Separate effectful part of 'add-elf-objects'.
  d439a3f67 * assembler: Separate effectful part of 'link-docstrs'.
  13e2d5b66 * assembler: Separate effectful part of 'link-frame-maps'.
  dc0c4ccb1 * assembler: Separate effectful part of 'link-procprops'.
  c7f1522c6 * assembler: Separate effectful part of 'link-dynamic-section'.
  fc5eae5d0 * assembler: Separate effectful part of 'link-symtab'.
  15c4c4ceb * assembler: Separate 'process-relocs' from 'patch-relocs!'.

As discussed on IRC, I’d like to tag and upload 3.0.9rc1 hopefully
tomorrow to get some testing (in particular portability testing) and
release roughly a week later.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.