Re: Plans regarding GTK+ 2.4 and G-Wrap TNG/2.0

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Plans regarding GTK+ 2.4 and G-Wrap TNG/2.0
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:38:49 +0200

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I've come pretty far in converting guile-gobject to G-Wrap TNG/2.0[0],
> leading also to a bit simpler support code (gw-spec-utils and
> defs-support). On a related issue: I've installed the .debs (from
> experimental) for GNOME 2.6/GTK+ 2.4. Since this is API-incompatible
> with 2.2, we need to change the .defs; I'm now in the situation to
> either
>
> 1) make the TNG branch 2.4-only (thus basing our 2.4 series on G-Wrap
>    2.0)
>
> 2) develop the TNG branch against 2.2 (which means setting up a
>    changeroot or something like that for me)
>
> 3) make guile-gobject support more than one GNOME API (as done in
>    gst-guile). This could be done in -dev immediatly and then merged
>    into the TNG branch.
>
> I prefer the latest option, but It would be greatif you could do the
> testing against 2.2, Andy, so I'll create a branch, which you can then
> test, tweak and merge into -dev if it works with 2.2.

I've changed my mind on this. I'll branch --main--2.4 off --dev--0,
like in my Archive proposal[0]. We can then use --main--2.4 for
targetting GNOME 2.4/GTK+ 2.2, if we really want to. --dev--0 will
thereafter require GTK+ 2.4/GNOME 2.6.

So my plans toward an inclusion in the platform bindings are:

1) Cover the GNOME 2.6 API

2a) Release this as one big pile of code (guile-gobject)
2b) Do 3) first

3) Break the stuff up into modules, like proposed in [0].

4) Join the Platform bindings for 2.8. We have to be real quick if we
   want to achieve this, as the first tarballs are due in April for
   the 2.8 platform bindings.

Also, I really should have G-Wrap 2.0 ready before doing 3), since I
really would like to have a unified codebase before doing the split.

Andy

[0] http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926584/GuileGnomeArchProposal.html
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden