guile-reader-devel

Re: [guile-reader-devel] Build problems

From: Vladimir Zhbanov
Subject: Re: [guile-reader-devel] Build problems
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 14:09:04 +0300

OK,

After reading many web pages and trying to debug autotools I
eventually found it.

In the definition of the macro GUILE_FLAGS there are several calls
for AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_FROM_LIBS. This macro is defined in
lib-link.m4 and it in turn calls the macro AC_LIB_RPATH defined in
the same file. That macro has the following line in it:

  m4_ifdef([AC_REQUIRE_AUX_FILE], [AC_REQUIRE_AUX_FILE([config.rpath])])

The macro AC_REQUIRE_AUX_FILE is described at [1].

So it was the first part of the story.

As concerning the presence of the file config.rpath, I have read
several discussions and found nothing worth. People search for it
using scripts or even simply create an empty file instead. I have
not tried the latter in action yet (though the typical sequence
'autoreconf -ivf && ./configure && make' worked without issues) so
I cannot say if it would work correctly. Anyway, it requires an
additional step besides the autoreconf invocation. Storing the
file in the repo is not an option AIUI since the build-aux
directory is wholy temporary. Probably a bootstrap script creating
the file and invoking autoconf would help.

Regards,
  Vladimir

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Optional.html