guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Volume 2 Issue

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Volume 2 Issue 22
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:58:39 -0500

To view this newsletter in full-color, click here:
http://fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Volume 2 Issue 22
November 12, 2002
Issue 46
VOLUME 2 Issue 22

IN THIS ISSUE
1. WELCOME
2. MEXICO BUSINESS RESOURCES
3. KISS, BOW OR SHAKE HANDS  --  HOW TO DO BUSINESS IN SIXTY
COUNTRIES
4. INDUSTRY RESEARCH DESK
5. MEDJET ASSISTANCE: PEACE OF MIND WHEN TRAVELERS NEED IT MOST
6. TWO RECIPE SITES

WELCOME
Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for
International Trade Professionals. This free bi-weekly
newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources
database at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at
http://www.fita.org, an excellent source for trade leads,
news, events, and a link library of 4,000+ sites related to
international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about
useful Web sites for businesspeople, in various publications.
Now I've focused on international trade, using my Web research
skills to find sites that are useful for international
businesspeople, and some sites that are just plain fun for
anyone.

Here are the sites:

MEXICO BUSINESS RESOURCES
I visited Mexico in 1980 and was impressed with its friendly
people and vibrant culture, although the economy was not so
vibrant -- there had been two devaluations of the peso in four
years, and the government imposed many restrictions and tariffs
on trade. These days, the story is different -- many trade
restrictions have been lifted with Mexico's participation in the
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), and that has helped
the economy. With a ten-year average annual growth rate that is
almost five times faster than Japan's, Mexico may soon overtake
Japan as the second largest U.S. trading partner. The 100
million people of Mexico represent a huge market for exporters.

If you want to research opportunities in Mexico, a good place to
start is the Mexico page at the University of Kansas
International Business Resources Web site at
http://www.ibrc.bschool.ukans.edu/country/northA/Mexico/mexico.htm.
This page has links to chambers of commerce, guides to starting
a business in Mexico, business directories, legal guides, stock
market news, trade statistics, travel information, and much
more.

There are lots more links to Mexico at the FITA site. Go to FITA's
International Trade Web Resources at www.fita.org/webindex, click on
Regional Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column
or "Search by Country or Region" in the right column, scroll down to
Latin America and then select "Mexico." Or simply type "Mexico" in the
search box at www.fita.org.

KISS, BOW OR SHAKE HANDS  --  HOW TO DO BUSINESS IN SIXTY
COUNTRIES
To succeed in international trade you need more than business
savvy -- you also need a cultural IQ. That means knowing what to
say and how to behave so that you make the right impression on
your business partners. For instance, if I'm ever at a business
meeting in Nigeria I'll make sure I don't use the "thumbs up"
sign, which has a negative meaning there. I learned this from
the "Kiss, Bow or Shake Hands: How to do Business in Sixty
Countries" site at http://www.getcustoms.com/omnibus.html, which
has a wealth of information about cultural issues in business. Some
of the things you'll find here are: tips on dressing for success, a
guide to making toasts in various countries, gift-giving
etiquette, guidelines on greetings and terms of address, hints
on when to give flowers, and much more.

INDUSTRY RESEARCH DESK
In the early days of the Internet, I interviewed a business
researcher who said the Net would never be a useful tool for his
profession, because the information on it was too unreliable.
These days you can't afford not to use the Internet in your
research, because there is so much information out there, and
some of it is surprisingly good. There's an excellent guide to
using the Net for business research at the Industry Research Desk
at http://www.virtualpet.com/industry. This site, created by researcher
Gary Polson, has a step-by-step guide that will show you exactly how to
find sources, both in print and online. He shows you information-rich
sites that will give you the inside scoop on companies,
industries, etc., worldwide. He also has links to the best
search engines, address and phone number finders, package
tracking sites, maps, and more.

MEDJET ASSISTANCE: PEACE OF MIND WHEN TRAVELERS NEED IT MOST
Mike Paull left Seattle on May 10 for Shanghai, China. Paull's trip ended
a week later with an accident that resulted in three broken ribs, a
fractured collarbone and internal bleeding. Immediately following the
accident, Paull, 48, was taken to the only medical care available - a
hospital in Dezhou, China. Not knowing how he was going to get home to
the proper medical care he so needed and desired, Paull contacted MEDJET
Assistance.

"I joined MEDJET Assistance just prior to my trip," said Paull. "Once I
contacted them, I was able to rest easier. They took care of everything.
They monitored the medical care I was receiving in China, made all of the
transportation arrangements and had me back home in Seattle in several days."

MEDJET Assistance is an annual membership program for U.S-based travelers
providing air medical transportation to its members should they become
hospitalized due to accident or illness virtually anywhere in the world.
The program transports members, free of charge, to the hospital of their
choice, most often in medically equipped and staffed jets. Click on
http://www.fita.org/travel/medjetdescript.htm) to become a MEDJET Assistance
member now at reduced FITA rates.

TWO RECIPE SITES
I love to eat, and as a byproduct of that passion I learned to
cook. I haven't had to buy a cookbook, though, because there are
hundreds of great recipe sites on the Web. Here are two of them:

- Recipezaar at http://www.recipezaar.com. This site has over
42,000 recipes contributed by visitors. You can search by keyword
or category (Main Ingredient, Special Diets, Time to Make, etc.).
- Recipe Source at www.recipesource.com. This one has 70,000 recipes,
and is especially strong on ethnic and regional cuisines. You can
search by keyword, or browse by region or type of dish.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for
International Trade Professionals, there's a search page at
http://fita.org/useful/search.html.

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for
International Trade Professionals, the full list is at
http://www.fita.org/useful/archives.html.

If you are reading this because it was forwarded to you by a
colleague and want to subscribe, go to the bottom of this page
to the Subscriptions section or simply click on
http://fita.org/useful/useful.html, enter your email address and
click on "add."

If you wish to unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the
Subscriptions section or simply click http://fita.org/useful/useful.html,
enter your email address and click on "remove."

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
(mailto:address@hidden)
Copyright (c) 2002 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.