Re: namespaces, goops, etc.

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: namespaces, goops, etc.
Date: 03 Nov 2000 21:48:01 +0200

Jost Boekemeier <address@hidden> writes:

> thi <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > anything that affects interfaces is more than an implementation issue.
> > here, the very issue is (module) interface definition!
>
> Hmm, if I remember correctly an interface is only a special kind of
> module.  A module (or modules) may or may not conform to a given
> interface.

Jost, I think it's, like, totally obvious that thi is talking about
the present Guile module system, and, moreover, about *using* it.

this implies a certain meaning of the word "interface" which is not
the meaning you give above.  the definition you give is true if you
are talking about some other module system.  it's also kinda true if
you are talking about the *implementation* of the current Guile module
system (I'm not sure about that, though).

but it's absolutely irrelevant in the context of this discussion,
since "interface" as you define it is not really a user-level concept
of the current Guile module system.

> With define-public on the other hand you initially specify what and
> what not should be visible by others.
>
> I just think that these are two different things.

different, but not ortogonal.  both these things control visibility of
bindings.

--
This computer thanks you for your attention.
G O O D B Y E