Re: autoconf and Guile

From: rm
Subject: Re: autoconf and Guile
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:05:23 +0200

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 06:29:31PM -0700, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> So, I've written 3 guile modules that I find pretty useful and that I
> want to share with the world:
>
>         (net http) - HTTP client-side
>         (codesystem base64) - Base64 encode/decode
>         (net xmlrpc) - XML-RPC client-side

Great!

> I'd like to have the distributed tarballs be easy to install, probably
> with a configure/make/make install like most people are used to.
>
> My problem is that I'm an autoconf lightweight, and my pretty little
> head is spinning with all the options possible. So I guess my question
> is: does anyone have examples of using autoconf to install Guile
> modules that I could crib off of?

Well, have a look at the srfi-13 Module that was anounced on
this list recently by Martin Grabmueller. His Makefile.am and
configure.in are great starting points.
BTW, and this is a question to the list: I could imagine that
a script that interactively creates a skeleton guile module
might boost module development. Perl has an impresive little
utility called 'h2xs' that will create all the neccessary files
for an installable perl module. Writing something similar for
guile shouldn't be too hard ... (ripping Martins code ...).

As a related question: what is the state of 'AM_INIT_GUILE_MODULE'
in aomtomake? I tried to use it but it didn't do what i expected.

 Ralf Mattes