Re: GUMM

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: GUMM
Date: 02 Apr 2001 21:58:38 +0100

    Evan> Hey, wow, I so want to work on this! I just spent several
    Evan> days making it possible to use Freenet from Guile, so I'm
    Evan> PSYCHED to see this as part of the plan. Not to mention all
    Evan> the XML hoohaw, too... Although I'd expect GUMM would be
    Evan> defined in terms of sexps rather than XML. Anyways, this is
    Evan> rokken like dokken, and I want to talk to interested people
    Evan> about making it happen.

Go for it!  I'd love to work on this too, but I really need to focus
on improving the Guile documentation.  So here's just a few
ideas...

- keep in touch with thi, as I believe he has a lot of ideas here

- think of downloading/installing required packages as a generalized
  form of `resolve-module'

- think integration with the projects database - a mapping from
  modules to projects springs to mind, but I have no idea whether
  that's the best approach

- think real automation and ease of use - if possible, "one click"
  (Amazon permitting) download+configure+build+install

- keep in mind that it would be nice to add a GUI front end.

Best wishes,
        Neil