Re: YAGLU - Yet another Guile Logo Update

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: YAGLU - Yet another Guile Logo Update
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:30:45 -0400

> From: Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden>
>
> > > * A bearded version of the GNU (thanks to Eric Moore for the suggestion)
> I had _no idea_ who Ming the Merciless was or how he looked like,

He's the bad guy in a series of cheesy science fiction movies
from mid-20th century.  I'm not sure I ever saw the whole film,
but he's probably not a good model anyway.  As I remember now,
he didn't have a goatee at all, but one of those medieval
oriental things with about twelve hairs, each a half meter long.

> so I sticked to `goatee'.

Definitely stick to that spelling.  I checked the dictionary.
It took a long time, because I had about five wrong ways to
spell it.  But on the facing page was a picture of a real gnu.
Although the picture shows the whole animal, the beard, or
goatee, is a prominant part.  It does look like a goatee,
but more bushy and ragged on the end than yours.  You might
look up "gnu" in the dictionary and see if there's a picture
that would give some ideas.

> > But the original (guile @) with no beard seems
> > good to me.

After having seen the picture I am thinking a beard
would be good, but making it fuzzier would be both
more realistic and less likely to be confused with
a tongue.

> > From: Keith Wright <address@hidden>
> > I have to re-read R5RS to see if a GNU head
> > is valid in an identifier.
>
> Hmm.  Since we're claiming Guile is R5RS we maybe
> should drop this logo ;)

No, no!  I did read R5RS, and there are two choices.
We could declare the Gnu Head to be an "extended
alphabetical character" (\S 2.1 pg. 5).  But it might
be troublesome to get a Unicode number assigned.
Or, consistant with the conventions that have been used
in this e-mail exchange, we could declare it to be
simply an #\@ character in the special font
64pt Grabmueller GNU-head sans-serif bold.
That would mean a head could not appear at the
head of an identifier, which seems a bit paradoxical.
But note that `(guile ,@()) ==> (guile).

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>