Snapshots!

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Snapshots!
Date: 10 Jul 2001 03:36:52 +0200

Hi,

we have resurrected the snapshot process.

- - - -

FTP Snapshots ========================================================

Each night, we make the current Guile sources available via anonymous
FTP.  Please keep in mind that these sources are strictly
experimental; they will usually not be well-tested, and may not even
compile on some systems.  They may contain interfaces which will
change.  They will usually not be of sufficient quality for use by
people not comfortable hacking the innards of Guile.  Caveat!

However, we're providing them anyway for several reasons.  We'd like
to encourage people to get involved in developing Guile.  People
willing to use the bleeding edge of development can get earlier access
to new, experimental features.  Patches submitted relative to recent
snapshots will be easier for us to evaluate and install, since the
patch's original sources will be closer to what we're working with.
And it allows us to start testing features earlier.

Nightly snapshots of the Guile development sources are available via
anonymous FTP from

    ftp://krusty.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/pub/guile/snapshots

- - - -

The README from the ftp site:

This directory contains daily snapshots of selected Guile CVS modules.

If you encounter problems with the snapshot process (as opposed to
problems in Guile itself), send them to <address@hidden>.

Snapshots are made by checking out the sources from CVS and building
them, and then creating a tar file with "make distcheck".  If such a
build fails, the snapshot will not appear here (and I will get a nasty
mail from cron).

The snapshots are made at 00:05 CET (or CEST) on a i686-pc-linux-gnu
box, and copied to the FTP server on 01:00 CET/CEST.

Snapshot files are marked with their day of creation, and there are
also links from constant names to the latest snapshot.

The following snapshots are available:

    guile-core-<date>.tar.gz           release-1-6 branch of guile-core
    guile-core.tar.gz

    guile-core.unstable-<date>.tar.gz  HEAD branch of guile-core
    guile-core.unstable.tar.gz

If you are interested in building your own snapshots, start from the
script make-snap in this directory.