Re: guile-1.5.1 and deprecated ...

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: guile-1.5.1 and deprecated ...
Date: 30 Aug 2001 16:35:27 +0300

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Rob Browning wrote:
>
> > Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I don't really like the behavior of `define-method' either where it
> > > defines a new empty generic if one doesn't already exist.
> >
> > Now that I understand the situation.  Me neither.
>
> Me neither.
>
> What are the reasons for keeping such a strange behaviour?

* that's what CLOS does

* it's especially convenient for accessors (which are generics).
  without it class definitions would be much more verbose (and
  quite annoying to write).

I too agree the behaviour is not exactly ideal, but just removing it
altogether isn't either.

--
"What did we agree about a leader??"
"We agreed we wouldn't have one."