(ice-9 readline) and soft ports?

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: (ice-9 readline) and soft ports?
Date: 19 Sep 2001 11:03:30 -0500

I thought I had figured outa very clever trick to get a readline-enabled
Guile repl running on the console while I run a Gtk app with open
windows.  I defined a soft port whose i/o routines handled glib events
while waiting for a char to come in, and did (set-readline-input-port!
my-port).

That failed miserably... I got a never-ending spew of messages like
so:

ERROR: In procedure %readline:
ERROR: Output port is not open or not a file port
ABORT: (misc-error)

I believe that the relevant part of this message is "not a file port".
Is there any particular reason that readline requires a file port rather
than any old port in general?

Thanks,
Bill Gribble