Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:07:53 -0500

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
>
> Keith Wright <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >   Bug: A bad .guile file kills the whole interpreter with
> >     a message that does not mention .guile.
>
> Running guile with the --debug option gives you a backtrace for errors
> in ~/.guile.  Is that OK?

It's OK.  I wish I had known to do that when I had the problem.
What about making that the default and let people who know
every option and never make mistakes set --no-debug?
...or turn it off in their .guile file!

> It still doesn't mention the actual filename and position.  Hmm.

It does for me.  At least the filename and expression that died can be
found somewhere in the dump.  My problem was that I just compiled a
new version and got a autistic program---it said almost nothing and
refused to run.  I got tricked into trying to debug the installation.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---