Re: One trivial querstion about datatype

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: One trivial querstion about datatype
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:07:08 -0500

> From: Dmitry Morozhnikov <address@hidden>
>
> But why guile can`t have vector-set-length! as in
> SCM? It is easy in implementation and usefull.

It's just as easy to implement in Scheme as in C.
Unless I am missing something, the implementation would
be about the same in either case.  The C standard
library has a procedure 'realloc' which also does the
same thing---if the vector is too short, allocate one
twice as long and copy all the elements into it.
Without very special purpose and expensive hardware for
RAM there isn't any much better way to do it.

> It`s intresting..  Go  look  how  it  implemented  in  perl..

Oh, not today.  Somebody else, who knows where to look, can
go look and post a hundred words or less on what
great idea is in there.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>