Re: 1.4 build problems (sorry!)

From: Jeff Read
Subject: Re: 1.4 build problems (sorry!)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:19:47 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:01:33AM -0800, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> i've appended the perl script below so we can collaboratively rework the
> beast.  it looks like the heart is the "$/ = foo" lines.  what does that
> mean in perl?

$/ is, I believe, the current end-of-line terminator; default is "\n". That's
right, they're parsing the file by tricking the <FOO> operator (Perl's
equivalent to (read-line)) into grabbing everything up to the tag, by telling
Perl that the tag is newline!

Given Perl's crocky syntax, I have to marvel slightly when something like this
is done.