Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).
Date: 28 May 2002 20:56:35 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, well we should keep that in mind, though as long as GMP supports
> the target architecture, and we arrange guile to handle a
> --with-gmp=/some/prefix argument, I'm not sure that keeping a copy of
> GMP's source tree inside ours buys much over just making sure the GMP
> tarfile is handy, and that we have good docs about any required
> configure args, etc.

Technically, I think we should not have a copy of GMP in our sources.
The libltdl thing is already somewhat confusing: when you first
configure Guile without a libltdl in your system, it will install it.
When you configure a new version of Guile, it will find the old
libltdl and will use it, while it should probably replace it with the
new version from Guile.

I'd say the user should explicitely state that he/she doesn't want to
use GMP.  When --without-gmp is not given, configure should abort when
GMP is not found.  Otherwise people might be tricked into building a
Guile with inferior number support without noticing it.