Re: language translator help

From: rm
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:44:38 +0200

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:25:22PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> [...]
>
> Compatibility header -- huh?

Probably refering to a suggestion i made a while ago: porting
an existing application to newer versions of guile will be a rather
large task - there are a lot of API changes (for some more than one
would expect in a minor version change ...). Live of application
developers could be considerably made easier with a header file
that provides cpp macros that fake vanished functions/types.

I do see the beauty and neccessity of consistently named types and
functions, but from my own experience i know that having to wade through
my code  replacing renamed symbols when i'd rather be hunting for the
'real' changes can get rather frustrating. A compatibility header would
lessen the pain:

#define scm_sizet size_t

 Ralf Mattes