Re: Stack Size?

From: Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Stack Size?
Date: 08 Aug 2002 15:49:34 -0600

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> > I've re-written the function, but it seems to me that it'd perhaps
> > make more sense for Guile to simply grow the stack until it runs
> > out of memory.  Is there a technical reason this doesn't happen?
>
> No idea, I'm afraid.  Perhaps it's considered a good thing for a
> language to allow applications to have a grip on their stack usage?

In a dynamic, functional language such as Scheme--or indeed any
language--I'm not so certain I agree.  While on the one hand switching
to a tail function is certainly more efficient, it seems to me that
that's not always the case.  And certainly it can often be much
clearer to write a bunch of functions which call bunches of functions
which...

> According to the output of `(debug-options 'full)', you can turn off
> stack size checking by setting the limit to 0, i.e.:
>
> (debug-set! stack 0)

Well, I'll not do that unless I need to--but I'd really rather I
didn't need to.  Que sera sera, I s'pose:-)

It seems to me somewhat broken that one must set a debug option
explicitly off.  Sort of a command-line switch --behave-yourself, when
that should be the default behaviour.  Certainly, stack size checks
may be _very_ useful when testing code.  But just as certainly, in
production those same checks are a nuisance, and can cause code to
break.

Or am I just being foolish?  It's a definite possibility, I'll
grant:-)

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
The purpose of the First Amendment's free-speech guarantee was pretty
mandatory.       --Michael Kinsley Washington Post, January 8, 1990