guile-doc-snarf replaced in the Makefile for scwm

From: P Pareit
Subject: guile-doc-snarf replaced in the Makefile for scwm
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:34:54 +0200

Hey,

Sinds newer versions of guile do not provide guile-doc-snarf anymore and after
the comments in guile-user I came up with the following solution:

This is the offending code in the original makefile:

.c.x:
        guile-doc-snarf $< $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $< > $@ \
        || { rm $@; false; }
.cc.x:
        guile-doc-snarf $< $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $< > $@ \
        || { rm $@; false; }
.c.doc:
        guile-doc-snarf $< $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $< >
/dev/null \
        || { rm $@; false; }

An this is what I changed it to:

.c.x:
        guile-snarf $< $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $< > $@ \
        || { rm $@; false; }
.cc.x:
        guile-snarf $< $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $< > $@ \
        || { rm $@; false; }

Rational:

The documentation says to use guile-snarf to generate the .x files that gets
included in the initializing functions.
This is because guile-doc-snarf used to first generate the documentation and
then called guile-snarf, and so did the work of guile-snarf (see node Doc
Snarfing in info).
For the .c.doc rule I was suggested to use guile-tools c2doc, but my
installation did not include c2doc and I also did not find documentation for
it. And the rule does not get used so I throw it out.

I also think it is not needed to remove the generated files if guile-snarf
fails as guile-snarf will do when given file to output , so I could even
change this to:

.c.x:
        guile-snarf $< -o $@ $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $<
.cc.x:
        guile-snarf $< -o $@ $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $<

If someone could confirm I'm right? This way I can start changing autogen.sh
for scwm and send in a patch.

pieter;