Re: Continuations: possible newbie question

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Continuations: possible newbie question
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:27:03 -0800

   From: Matt Hellige <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:14:25 -0600

   is this due to a bug in guile,

perhaps.  here is what i see:

guile> (version)
"1.4.1.93"
guile> (load "cwcc.scm")                ; as posted
guile> (exec-binding bind)
"escaped"
guile> (done-reading "hi")
hi
guile>

   or to my abuse of continuations?

continuations are basically a sanctioned control-flow abuse mechanism,
so it is all just a matter of degree.  i have been happy not to use them
except as escapes, in my code.  in one gig i used them -- guile 1.3.4, i
believe -- as co-routines (like your example) but that was more to
impress the Boss (and drag myself out of ignorance ;-) than anything.

   another way to do what I'm trying to do?

probably you can continue your explorations in this vein w/ more
debugging support: use `trace' and `pk' to determine where things go
wrong, and/or use a guile version that behaves as you expect.

all other ways essentially devolve into using continuations.

thi