Problems with Select + threads + pipes

From: Robert Marlow
Subject: Problems with Select + threads + pipes
Date: 05 Aug 2003 10:58:17 +0800

Hi all

I'm really stuck on this problem. I have one thread which listens on a
network socket for content. It uses select so the accept bug doesn't
block all threads. I then have another thread which waits for a message
string and then spits it out to another program via a pipe. The
combination of threads + select + pipes seems to cause problems in my
program.

I can get rid of the problem if I lock the mutex while using the pipe,
however this defeats the purpose of using threads; I don't want the time
consuming piped process wasting time that could be used by other
threads.

I have attached two trimmed-down scripts as an example of my problem.
I'd really, really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on
what the problem is. Thanks.

--
Regards,

Robert Marlow