BASIC->Guile Converter v0.6

From: Richard Todd
Subject: BASIC->Guile Converter v0.6
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 00:25:55 -0600

Since the feedback was mostly good, I've decided to go forward with
BASIC->Guile.  Even if most projects never use it, maybe I can provide
documentation about my approach that could help others.

So, along those lines, I've made a number of improvements to the
BASIC->Guile converter today.  As before, it's available at
http://www.vzavenue.net/~rwtodd5128/index.html. It should now be
approaching a usable state for simple tasks.  The tests/*.bas files
show off most of the new features.

(I might have done more, but once I got to the point where I could use
BASIC to control GNU Robots, I kept playing...)

I've added a TODO list which plans the releases through 1.0. If anyone
wants to help with this, please do.  I work 60+ hours a week at my day
job, so progress may be minimal til the Christmas break.

>From the NEWS file for v0.6:

  User can define functions and subroutines.
    - these can be called directly from scheme

  More BASIC constructs:
    -  WHILE/WEND
    -  DO/WHILE
    -  DO/LOOP
    - compound bool expressions with OR, AND, and NOT
      (before it was only TRUE, FALSE, <, >, and <>)

  Better error reporting (in the sense that it now stops parsing
  when it sees an error, instead of reporting the first downstream
  problem that the error caused).

thanks,
Richard Todd
richardt  at  vzavenue  net