Guile/Scheme development

From: Brian S McQueen
Subject: Guile/Scheme development
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:04:48 -0800 (PST)

I thought I would mention how I am currently using Guile, and mention a
Guile project I would like to undertake over the next year.  I think this
is appropriate because there are probably many, like myself, who have
found Guile very useful and are putting it to work, though they may not
have any involvement with the Guile community.  Folks in this category are
hoping or assuming someone else is maintaining or advancing the core
libguile technology, because it is a great tool.  We can't all be masters
of the libguile core.

If we want Guile to suceed we have to put it to work. An excellent example
of a guy who is really putting this technology to work is Bruce Korb,
creator of Autogen http://www.gnu.org/software/autogen/).  From his web
site you can see he is very productive.

 Recently I revised all the CGI's on my company's web site by adding Guile
(linking in libguile).  I was able to remove all logic from the CGIs,
leaving them as a batch of C functions, the order and operation of which
is specified by external config files written entirely in Scheme.  Now the
CGIs are very adjustable, but the core is still a batch of high
performance C executables.

I also entirely separated the UI of the web site from the logic via Guile.
The CGIs actually produce only name=value pairs as output.  This output is
then put into Bruce's tool to produce the output html.  This tool I must
recommend to you all.

The future project I would like to undertake in the next year is to
produce a version of Autogen which will run as a Server, listening for
connections, accepting data from clients and returning fully interpolated
templates.  There are a few different approaches.  I haven't decided which
way to ge here yet.

McQueen