Re: modules

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: modules
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:29:39 +0100

   From: Ian Zimmerman <address@hidden>
   Date: 20 Mar 2004 21:40:28 -0800

   How can I customize a module during loading?

for the present, you have to fake it w/ `load' and closures.

for the future, you can propose a design for a (sub-)clause for
`use-modules' or `define-module' that supports parameterized modules,
and then work w/ the module system that implements your design (after
some likely-to-be-lengthly period of debugging ;-).

   how can I get an actual module object?

use `resolve-module'.  for example:

(eval-in-module '(current-module) (resolve-module '(ice-9 rw)))
=> #<directory (ice-9 rw) 4024bd38>

i have discovered there are actually three kinds of "actual module
object" in the context of guile -- one kind you can see in the above
example (the "directory"), the other two normally more transient but
nonetheless exposed/exposable.  the word "module" is the chicken of
programming terms -- everything tastes like it...

thi