Re: Guile 6.4 on NCR MPRAS

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Guile 6.4 on NCR MPRAS
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:44:36 +1000

Kevin Pendleton <address@hidden> writes:

> #   2. Use each function name only once:  can't redo a check because
> #      autoconf caches the results of the last check and won't redo it.
> #   3. Use -lnsl and -lsocket only if they supply procedures that
> #      aren't already present in the normal libraries.  This is because
> #      IRIX 5.2 has libraries, but they aren't needed and they're
> #      bogus:  they goof up name resolution if used.

AC_SEARCH_LIBS probably covers this.  Probe libraries, add them if
they're needed, don't add them if they're not.

> #   4. On some SVR4 systems, can't use -lsocket without -lnsl too.
> #      To get around this problem, check for both libraries together
> #      if -lsocket doesn't work by itself.

Or I presume just ensure -lnsl is probed first.

> Is it possible that this has already been hashed out and resolved?

Probably not.

> What is the best way to recreate configure?

You can try going from the guile cvs, either the head or the
branch_release-1-6, and have a look at autogen.sh.

Modest fixes can get into the 1.6 branch, major surgery will have to
wait for the head and the next major release.

> Should I just manually change configure and send in the diff?

No, not configure, but you can advise what's needed for configure.in.